Flash or Html - Which to choose?
When creating a website sooner or later each of us will put this question before. I think the correct answer is never clear, and most often looks like this: "depends on what you need it for". And this is a very good starting point.
Here are the general characteristics of both methods, I have prepared for the purposes of this article, so this should not be treated as a definition.
Page executed in html:
- Its main task is to inform
- It is based on the text and pictures.
- Have less graphics
- Often has many categories and subcategories
- Has a smaller size, therefore loads quickly
- Still may use flash elements in the form of banners, etc.
- Easier in SEO
Page executed in flash:
- Its main task is showy presentation.
- Most common theme is based on the number of animations
- Has a larger size, therefore i takes longer to load
- Badly executed will be hard to possition in search engines.
- May function poorly on slower computers (thankfully those happens to be less and less)
- Definitely better for small amounts of text and a fewer categories
- Well executed will make the competition will be filled with envy
- You are free to juggle with text, animation, music, movie clips and photos.
- If it's interesting, keeps the viewer online for longer time which more likely will effect sharing it with friends
I could point out the advantages and disadvantages of both methods endlessly, and I am convinced that how many people so many opinions. Ideally, I recommend to have both versions of the page. But we can not always afford it.
Making a choice can be difficult, therefore based on personal experience in designing sites and advising my clients, I came up with a few selection criteria, which, I hope, makes it much easier to decide.
The amount and type of content:
» Html - if we have a large amount of text.
» Flash - if we want to show a lot of images or have a lot of graphic material
Budget (this example concerns the rather simple page, but the proportion of costs does not change much considering larger projects)
» Html - if our budget is from 250 to 1000$
» Flash - if we want to spend more than 1000$
» Html - if our priority is to provide information
» Flash - if you want to impress with a presentation